Vission and Mission
VISION In the year 2004/2005 the Z.L.S had spelt its vision, that is:- To have a society which is satisfied with good library and information services
MISSION The management has also outlined its mission so that the current vision is realized. Among the mission are:-
- To create conductive working environment for efficient and effective delivery of services
- To ensure good maintenance and provision of necessary facilities
- To ensure provision of good library service
- To purchase books, newspapers and periodicals
- To provide fast, adequate digital information through the use of internet services.
- To help and support education, cultural, leisure and information needs for all peoples of Zanzibar and Pemba.
FUNCTION OF ZANZIBAR LIBRARY SERVICE BOARD To enhance the library development in Zanzibar, the government passed the bill "Zanzibar Library Services Board Act of 1993", therefore according to that law declared some of the functions listed below:-
- To promote establish, equip, maintain and develop libraries in the Islands of Zanzibar in search a manner as to meet the library requirements of the whole population of Zanzibar Islands
- To actively promote book reading and library use throughout the islands
- To set up, establish, equip, manage, maintain and develop documentation centers and to provide documentation services
- To initiate, sponsor, participate in, finance and assist in campaigns for the eradication of illiteracy
- To provide an efficient and effective library service in both urban and rural areas, catering for the library needs of all sectors of the community
- To stimulate public interest in literature generally, and Swahili literature in particular
- To encourage the production and distribution of books and other literary works
- To provide the facilities and means for the study of, and for basic training in, the principles, procedures and techniques of librarianship and such other related subjects as the Board may from time to time decide
- To sponsor, arrange and provide facilities for conferences and seminars for discussion of matter relating to library and documentation services
In pursuance of the above objectives and functions, the library engages itself
- It conducts short courses for untrained library workers who operate the departmental libraries and documentation centers.
- It helps schools, government institutions and NGO to establish their libraries or documentation centers.
- It works with embassies or NGO's to conduct special programs and paper shows.
- It cooperates with TLA, AZLIS and SLADS to conduct seminars and workshops.
- Offer services to students who conduct research.