In ServicesThis involves all services that available and providing within the Zanzibar Library Services Board (ZLSB).
1. ReceptionThis section is an important section for our guests and local users that offers different services for helping library users. Among these services are the following: We receive library users who need the library services, we write down in notebooks all users who entered the library, we give them pieces of card all customers who come with bags for the safety of their bags, we files all used newspaper and set to store ,in order to help other whose needs the last month newspaper, we arrange our pieces of ID well cheapened our user's time to take that piece of ID, We keep our users handbags until the time of departure.
2. Circulation Desk
This is a department in public library where you can check out and return books,
pay fines, pick up your holds, and more as well as helping users by locating books and
finding referrals to other kinds of library services and resources.
This area is located near the main entrance of each library,
and is sometimes called the "Loans Desk".
CIRCULATION DESK ACTIVITIES The following are the major functions of Circulation Department:
- Collecting statistic on library use, materials check-out and check-in of materials
- Circulation desk is the user assistance by helping users by locating books and finding referrals to other kinds of library services and resources.
- Renewals, hold & recalls, book reserves
- Notifying and searching items
- Issuing library clearance to departing users.
- Send out overdue by phone number, send messages or by following the area where borrower are available by charging and receipting overdue fines.
- Assist circulation supervisor with training student employee, if it is an academic environment.
- Register users in a system for identity card and creation of borrowers pockets, when using the Browne issue system
Also we provides a new member registration Below are steps of registration for incoming new users:
- We give him/her the instruction form
- Member should read and understand well that form
- We give him application form after well understand the instruction
- Member should pay a little amount for member application form
- Return a form after completed filling it
- Waiting just a one or two day for processing and designing his/her member identification
- After two days he/she come to take her/his card
3. Suggest a purchase
To request from the Library the acquisition of a specific book for the first time you will request by mantion the name of author and title of the book through the following emails:- email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org
4. Reference room
This room cover everything necessary to help the reader in his/her inquiries including the selection of an adequate and suitable collection of reference books. The possession of the right books and the knowledge of how to use them are assential to the success of reference room. There are two kinds of books.
- Those which are meant to be read through for either information or enjoyment.
- Those which are meant to be consulted or referred to for some specific piece of information.
- Dictionaries, Gazetteers, Directories
- Encyclopedias, Atlas , Hand books
- Yearbooks, Map
- Almanacs, Bibliographical
5. Processing Room
This is a part of the ZLSB unit which dealing with preparing and processing all library materials according to their similarities. The tasks that undertaking by processing room (unit) are:
- Stamping all library materials which come from the storage room.
- To classified and cataloguing all books by give them class member according to their subjects of that books. This process may use by DDC, OPAC and Online Classification scheme.
- To put date label, book cards and spine label on that books.
- Stamping the accession number to all books in order to make the identification on that materials and register in the accession register book.
- To register all information of the particular books in the database known as KOHA for helping users having access to our online library services.
6. Computer Room
This is a room that available within the Zanzibar Library Services Board (ZLSB) provides services such as Copying, printing,laminating,scanning,binding,designing library member card and internet cafe services available in computer Room. In the Zanzibar Public Library building
LocationThe Copy Center is located in the computer room through room number 6 ,the librarian will show you where its.
Opening hoursMonday to friday: 8:30 to 15:30 sunday and saturday: closed
Computer Cafethe computer café services like internet services for searching student their materials. This service for users will be charges only 500/= per hour , but there is a bonus of registered member which is the first one hour free.we help different student to fill their college application as well as loans board application.also we provides computer application course for basic librarianship students.
Stationeryalso we provides many stationeries services like.
photocopy,printing colored and black and white copy,lamination,all kind of binding,A4 scanning documents.
our services has a little cost compare to other stationeries. The following are the arrangement of our services cost
photocopy 30/= per page only.
color printing 700/= only.
black&white printing 300/= only.
A4 lamination 700/= only.
A3 lamination including birth certificate1000/= only .
spiral binding 1000/=only .
sola tap binding 1000/=only.
A4 scanning 500/= per page only.
also in this room we design Id for new and old member library users
7. Children Corner
This is a special library corner for children where by library materials like books, dictionaries, toys are organizing in systematic order according to their characteristics to satisfy the users’ (children) needs and access information for children in early age. This area contains many children’s books, television, and children's playlists (toys). The various activities running by Children Corner are Reading stories/storytelling, Drawing and put colors, Word spelling, Quiz, Brain storming, Games, Cartoons, Singing learning song, Touching books etc.
The main aims of establishing children corner are as follow:
- evelop reading culture for children in early age
- To provide young children with access of books and toys in order to support their mental and social development
- To encourage love of book and reading habits for children within library.
8. Pemba American Corner
American corner is the part of our Zanzibar library which contains free internet café services and all required library services.
LocationAmerican corner is located in ground floor at Pemba.
Opening hoursMonday to friday: 8:30 to 15:30 Saturday: 8:00 to 14:00
Program conducted in America cornerENGLISH PROGRAMES:
1. OUTREACH PROGRAMa. Reading promotion b. English club establishment in defferent schools.
c. speaking English language skills
2. TALENTS PROGRAMi. writing poems &reading ii. singing